Of Mice and Men is John Steinbeck’s story about a pair of down-and-out men reaching for their own version of heaven: a place of their own. You know the story.
Wait, you don’t?
Well then, here are three reasons why you absolutely should read it:
- It’s short. Seriously, it’ll take you a few hours to get through the whole thing… and then a few additional hours to mop the tears from your cheeks.
- It’s wonderfully contained (it’s a play written as a book).
- The climax builds like a sky of dark clouds until finally the action comes like a flash of lightning.
- The characters will stay with you LONG after you close the book.
- Lenny and the rabbits.
Fine, that was more than three reasons. I’m stopping now.
6. The last chapter is crushingly beautiful and I wish that someday I can write something as marvelous.
I’m stopping, now, I promise.
Rating: PG-13 Language.
Awesomeness: The characters. They have life that the pages and helpless to contain.
Quote: “I ought to of shot that dog myself, George. I shouldn’t ought to of let no stranger shoot my dog.”
Favorite character: George.